Here’s me so far…
1. November 9-17: Samoa (7 days, free stopover to NZ)
2. November 18-22: Tonga (4 days, free stopover to NZ)
3. November 22-January 11, 2011: New Zealand (50 days, North and South Island. Bought a ticket to Rhythm and Vines Music Festival in Gisborne over New Year’s for December 29-January 1, 2010. Then around the East Cape January 2-7, 2010? My friend D is coming with for 3 weeks!)
4. January 11-17: Australia (6 days, Perth)
5. January 17 – February ?: Indonesia (3-4 weeks, Bali, Java, and Lombok, stay at least 3 weeks…I want even more time)
After this I have not booked anything else but think I will very shortly book Indonesia to Singapore to Malaysia to Sri Lanka to India. A possible side trip to the Maldives if I can find cheap accommodation…wistful thinking…actually Male has budget accommodation and would be interesting to visit a less touristy part of the Maldives. This TIME article says, “Some 40% of the Maldives’ population still earns less than $2 a day.” and “An estimated 30,000 Maldivian youths are addicts, almost 10% of the country’s population.” That is insanity, especially when you compare that with the money spent at Maldivian all-inclusive resorts. I didn’t want to plan so much of the trip but I do want to take advantage of some cheap sales and still entertain the possibility of making Oktoberfest 2011. Reaching Germany in November or December 2011 seems much more likely.
After India, I’m thinking Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan (?), South East Asia, contemplating Bangladesh and Burma, probably skipping the Philippines (I really want to go but may have to save for another time if I want to attempt Oktoberfest 2011 and miss the Trans-Siberian in the dead of winter), China, Mongolia, Russia, Scandinavia, and Germany, roughly in that order.
My brother is also kind of blowing up in Shanghai and I want to spend more time there. He’s throwing parties with his company, The Ice Cream Truck, and seems like a bit of a wunderkind. You can see what he does here: http://the-ice-cream-truck.com/. His most recent work includes curating a dance stage at the MIDI Music Festival this month. It’s been a long time since I was last in Shanghai and wish I were there already.
I’m also interested in living in Berlin for a few months. Need to figure out how to deal with Schengen visa restrictions (limited to 3 months).
I am looking at 1-2 years away, possibly more if I go to Africa and the Middle East. Seriously looking at going overlanding for 10 months after this first leg.
Let me know if you have been to these places and have anything to recommend!